June 5, is World Environment Day, an annual event aimed at increasing worldwide awareness of positive environmental action. This year’s theme focuses on creating awareness of food waste and encourages people to Think-Eat-Save. According to the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization, every year 1.3 billion tons of food are wasted. This is equivalent to the amount of food produced in the whole of sub-Saharan Africa. At the same time, 1 in every 7 people in the world go to bed hungry and more than 20,000 children under the age of 5 die daily from hunger.
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) has issued a call to action by people from around the globe to do something that will positively affect the environment, whether at home or in the office. World Environment Day is all about working together to take action in support of the Earth, and everyone can make a difference. If you are wondering how you can contribute to this effort here are 10 things you can do today to be a change agent for tomorrow:
- Stop using plastic bags at the supermarket
- Switch your light bulbs to energy-efficient LEDs
- Plant a tree or herb garden
- Eat organic and locally grown foods
- Use rainwater to water your plants
At the Office:
- Start a recycling program at work
- Print using both sides
- Power down your computer at the end of the day
- Recycle paper whenever possible
- Unplug unnecessary electronic equipment when it is not in use
By implementing just one of these steps in your daily activities, you can do your part to make our planet a better place to live for generations to come.
So what kind of impact are you going to make for World Environment Day?